Jump directly to the content

Tex Carter

March 12, 2014  3:36pm

Seeing Christ's story once again in a medium that speaks more to today's population than pages from a (holy) book, or sermons that have a hard time attracting that same population -- this film is a faithful ministry to unreached people, reinforcement for reached and redeemed, and serious, positive entertainment for all. Ms. Starbuck's article captured the intent of the film makers, and offers all of us a thoughtful look at the ways the Gospel and the face of Jesus need to be portrayed in order to be received by young and old today. I look forward to seeing Jesus' heavenly face, and to experiencing Him in myriad faces, on the screen, in the Book, and in my world, as I journey in Grace.

David Stafford

March 10, 2014  10:20am

Isaiah gives us a hint; "When we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. He is a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief and we hid our faces from him. We did esteem him, smitten of God and afflicted." How would a movie, entirely true to the word of God in all of Jesus'sayings and situations and events, and; true to Isaiah, (presenting Jesus as looking something like Quasimodo, from THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME is realized, or Lon Chaney's first phantom of the opera). How would such a serialized, made for TV, film be received by today's Jesus lovers? It would be fun to make it and try it out, would it not?

Frank Keefe

March 10, 2014  4:11am

We all have images of Jesus probably the best portrayal and the best film was Robert Powel and Jesus Of Nazareth.But for the look which is the image I had of Jesus as a child then it was Jim Caveizels Jesus in The Passion Of The Christ.One day we will look on the TRUE Jesus and I have no doubt He will be beyond all our imaginations.

David Stafford

March 09, 2014  4:05pm

Karen Smith, Alanis Morrisset, mentioned in this article, wrote a song called, WHAT IF GOD WERE ONE OF US, made famous by Joan Osborn's rendition. Margot Starbuck, the full bodied woman of color has been a popular God image for centuries. She, like Ashtoreth, is usually multibreasted and frequently crowded by offspring. If female diety attracts you, why don't you become a Catholic; The church founded by Peter, who loved things pertaining to men rather than things pertaining to God, according to my Lord and savior, Jesus Christ.

David Stafford

March 09, 2014  7:56am

Margot Starbuck, you mention DOGMA but you shunted the greatest popular God IMAGE of them all for today. Buddy Jesus! He has been exclusive to Catholics for fifteen years. I can tell from your article it's time for evangelicals to incorporate their own version of him. "Who's awesome? You're awesome!" (Legos, eat your heart out.) And for a VOICE, we have the twenty four year old song by King Missile, JESUS WAS WAY COOL, which opens with, "Jesus was way cool. Everybody liked him. Everybody wanted to hang out with him." And ends with, "No wonder there are so many Christians." These artworks were ahead of their time, but, to me, they fit your expressed modern sentiments perfectly. Don't they help one to see God better? Or is it, to see man better? I forget, as they say.

Michael Holt

March 07, 2014  5:06pm

Well, I'm somewhat disappointed. I googled Mr. Morgado and learned he is living with his girlfriend, has a son out of wedlock and does nude modeling and very skimpy underwear ads. Surely there is a godly man somewhere who can play the part of Jesus with some conviction. I think I will not go to this movie.

Roger Malstead

March 07, 2014  4:38pm

I appreciated deeply the scene of Jesus calling Matthew. From 'scum', to hope, to rising to follow with a tear in his eye. That kind of encounter typifies the call Jesus has for each of us. I also saw the 'man' in Jesus, almost clawing his way to get on the cross. That's my kind of Savior! Roger Malstead

Karen Smith

March 07, 2014  9:52am

I think my favorite portrayal of God was in a TV show - Joan of Arcadia. The concept of the show was that God spoke to a teen girl (Joan), giving her frequently nonsensical instructions. The ripples created by her following the instructions would always make the world a better place. In any case, God spoke to her as different people - a teen boy, a little girl, a lunch lady, and others I don't remember. Very popular culture, yet at the same time - we are all made in God's image, so who can say God doesn't look like us all? (This is different than Jesus, mind you. Jesus was wholly human (and wholly God, but the human part is the important one for this conversation), meaning he has a specific appearance.)

* Comments may be edited for tone and clarity.

Include results from Christianity Today
Browse Archives:

So Hot Right Now

Have Babies, Just Not Yet

Resisting pressure to "make something of yourself" before motherhood.

What We're Reading