The ministry of music is one of the most significant ministries of the church. Simultaneously, it is one in which many decisions are made on assumptions or common practices that may or may not be accurate. Pastors also often have deep concerns they do not have opportunity to express.
As a service to the local church, CHRISTIANITY TODAY has designed the following questionnaire, directed primarily to the senior pastor. Your honest and considered replies will be of genuine help to others, as theirs may be to you. A summary will be published in a future issue of CT. For your observations to be included, your completed questionnaire should be received at CT no later than September 30, 1982.
Use a separate sheet of paper for items requiring longer answers.
1. In your opinion, what are the most significant issues today in church music? .
2. What significance does music have in your ministry? . Does it actually achieve the goals set for it?
3. Does your music ministry have a significant outreach into your immediate community? .
4. How would you appraise relevance and quality of music programs in evangelical schools? .
Are they meeting the needs of the church? .
Why or why not? .
1. Have you personally had any training in the theology and
practice of worship? . In hymnology? . In music? .
2. Do you meet regularly with your minister of music? .
3. Do you preach at every musical performance? .
The Ministry Of Music
1. What criteria do you use in selecting a minister of music? .
2. Is the minister of music ordained? .
3. Is your minister of music full-time? Yes No .
¾? ½? ⅓? Less than ⅓? .
4. Does your minister of music have theological training? . Formal music education? . If so, to what extent? . Professional music performance ...1
Already a CT subscriber? Log in for full digital access.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more