Before being accepted into the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability, potential members must show that they meet the following criteria:
1. Truthfulness in communication: All representations of fact, description of financial condition of the organization, or narrative about events must be current, complete and accurate. References to past activities or events must be appropriately dated. There must be no material omissions or exaggerations of fact or use of misleading photographs or any other communication which would tend to create a false impression or misunderstanding.
2. Communication and donor expectations: Fund-raising appeals must not create unrealistic donor expectations of what a donor’s gift will actually accomplish within the limits of the organization’s ministry.
3. Communication and donor intent: All statements made by the organization in its fund-raising appeals about the use of the gift must be honored by the organization. The donor’s intent is related to both what was communicated in the appeal and to any donor instructions accompanying the gift. The organization should be aware that communications made in fund-raising appeals may indeed create a legally binding restriction.
4. Projects unrelated to a ministry’s primary purpose: An organization raising or receiving funds for programs that are not part of its present or prospective ministry, but are proper in accordance with its exempt purpose, must either treat them as restricted funds and channel them through an organization that can carry out the donor’s intent, or return the funds to the donor.
5. Incentives and premiums: Fund-raising appeals which, in exchange for a contribution, offer premiums or incentives (the value ...1
Already a CT subscriber? Log in for full digital access.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more