—David Bacon, a 33-year-old Missionary Aviation Fellowship (MAF) pilot in Lesotho, died October 1 when his plane crashed into a ridge after takeoff. Bacon, originally from Milton, Florida, had been with MAF since 1993. He is survived by his wife, Lisa, and daughters Tiffany, 8; Jennifer, 6; and Alyssa, 3.
—Five assailants using high-powered rifles shot and killed two indigenous leaders of the Organization of Evangelical Peoples of the Chiapas Highlands (OPEACH) November 12. opeach cofounder Salvador Collazo and treasurer Marcelino "Ricardo" Perez were shot and killed near San Juan Chamula, Mexico, by suspected traditional Catholic caciques, or chiefs, who oppose the presence of evangelical Protestants in the region.
—Four members of a car-theft ring have been charged with the September murder of missionary Neal Eldrenkamp in Ecuador (CT, Nov. 17, 1997, p. 76). The four, Meza Barbaro, 31; Velez Salomon, 23; Delgado Edgarindo, 18; and Munoz Lorenzo, 18, were arrested in Chone, Ecuador, and are in the custody of the national police.
Copyright © 1998 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Our digital archives are a work in progress. Let us know if corrections need to be made.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
More from this Issue
Read These Next
- TrendingJunia, the Female Apostle Imprisoned for the GospelWhat Scripture tells us about the story of this “outstanding” Jewish woman in chains.Português
- From the MagazineBhutanese Nepali Refugees Turn Their Trials into Zeal for EvangelismThousands found Jesus while displaced, which prepared them to plant churches and settle in a new land.
- Editor's PickGo Ahead. Get Mad at God for the Nashville Shooting.In the face of tragedy, Christ welcomes our confusion and anger.