Orthodox meeting is first meeting of leaders in 60 years
Fourteen of the world's 15 Orthodox Patriarchs meet despite ancient and personal rivalries. The only one who missed was too ill to attend. Today is the Christmas for the Orthodox, who follow the Julian calendar.
Split between Ted Turner and Jane Fonda because Fonda is now a Christian, reports Web site "What will Jane become next?" asked the Washington Post
Wednesday, after Ted Turner and Jane Fonda announced they were separating. Apparently, she is becoming a Christian. Conservative Web site WorldNetDaily reported yesterday that Jane Fonda has become "born again" and that her conversion in part prompted the couple's marital strife.
Britain launches secular baptisms
Supporters claim government-backed "naming ceremonies" are "merely providing a service," according to Catholic news site EWTN. But Catholics charge the program is meant to lure people away from the church.
Franklin Graham tells Sydney Morning Herald he feels sorry for Prince Charles
It's about the only new revelation an otherwise standard "prodigal returns" profile of Billy's "reluctant heir."
Evangelical coalition calls for "Project Megiddo" investigation
In a short Washington Post piece, religion writer Hanna Rosin reports that Christian organizations groups are lobbying Congress to investigate the FBI's "overblown" warnings that Christians may become violent on New Year's Day. (See the report in PDF format on the FBI Web site or in HTML on a myriad of other sites .)
Montreal church goes through nasty split—to court and press
After being fired by the Eglise Evangelique Baptiste Eben-Ezer (Eben-Ezer Baptist Evangelical Church), pastor Fils-Aime Jean changed the church locks and took direct control of the church's finances. Board members tell the Montreal Gazette, "Jean's behaviour and attitude the past six months have alienated parishioners, which has resulted in a substantial drop in the weekly collection—the church's only source of income."
See our Weblogs earlier this week, from January 5 , 4 , and 3 , and from December 30 and 29 .
Copyright © 2000 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingCompany that Trademarked ‘Worship Leader’ Makes Others Drop the TermPopular meme accounts lose social media pages after being reported by Authentic Media, which says it coined the phrase.
- From the MagazineBhutanese Nepali Refugees Turn Their Trials into Zeal for EvangelismThousands found Jesus while displaced, which prepared them to plant churches and settle in a new land.
- Editor's PickShift Your Bible Reading into a New GearJonathan Pennington has written the rare study aid that equips without oversimplifying or overwhelming.