Lord of the Rings
"I am a Christian, and indeed a Roman Catholic."
"A fundamentally religious and Catholic work. … The religious element is absorbed into the story and the symbolism."
That new film version (opening Dec. 19) won't include Tolkien's wonderful details
Chronicles of Narnia
"Mere Christianity" (Lewis was Anglican)
"I am aiming at a sort of pre-baptism of the child's imagination."
That new volumes commissioned by HarperCollins won't include Lewis's spirituality
"I think there is a God. … What we know about God, I'm not sure."
"I [distill] all the issues that religion represents. … to awaken a certain kind of spirituality in young people."
That new film (May 2002) will include crypto-Rasta Jar-Jar Binks
Copyright © 2001 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
In Christianity Today, Steve Rabey recently wrote on the new wave of Tolkienmania.
The Houghton Mifflin Lord of the Rings book site has great information on Tolkien, a character guide, and an interview on the history of the books with Houghton Mifflin's project director.
The official movie site has film information, photos, and a lot of multi-media including trailers and behind-the-scenes shorts.
The movie adaptation of the first book, Fellowship of the Rings, opens today and has received raving reviews. See Christianity Today'sFilm Forum to see what mainstream and Christian critics are saying.
Finding God in The Lord of the Rings by Kurt Bruner and Jim Ware and Tom Shippey's J.R.R. Tolkien: Author of the Century are also available at Christianbook.com.
The official Star Wars site has a great deal of information on May's Episode II: Attack of the Clones.
The Chronicle of Narnia Web site includes information on the creation of Narnia, details on all the characters, and a quiz to test your Narnia knowledge.
Earlier this month, Christianity Today's Weblog reported that a Narnia film will be released in 2004.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingRussell Moore: I Already Miss Tim Keller’s Wise VoiceThe late pastor theologian gave strong counsel to me and so many others in ministry.
- From the MagazineHow One Family’s Faith Survived Three Generations in the PulpitWith a front-row seat to their parents’ failures and burnout, a long line of pastor’s kids still went into ministry. Why?
- RelatedSammi Cheng: ‘Not Having a Smooth Path Allowed Me to Be Gentler and More Humble’The Hong Kong Christian actress and singer experienced God’s grace in depression and marital crisis and grew in her acting career简体中文繁體中文
- Editor's PickBecome a Shadow of Your Future SelfManifesting isn’t the answer. Consenting to holiness is.