Washington's God: Religion, Liberty, and the Father of Our Country
Michael Novak and Jana Novak
A rich and readable examination of what the nation's first President and most important founder believed. With overwhelming evidence, the Novaks debunk myths about Washington's alleged deism.
* * *
Faith and the Presidency: From George Washington to George W. Bush
Gary Scott Smith
This examination of 11 Presidents' faith is remarkably balanced and sourced in great detail. Arguably the seminal work on the faith of our Presidents, the chapter on Jefferson alone is worth the price tag.
* * *
In this Pulitzer Prizewinning biography, McCullough resurrects John Adams one of our most thoughtful, intellectual, spiritual, and influential founders from an unforgivable period of historical omission.
* * *
Nixon: A Life
Aitken came to know Nixon well and had unprecedented access to the former President's family and other sources. The revelations in this insightful book include startling information on John F. Kennedy and the 1960 election, plus a pious side of Nixon that few witnessed.
* * *
The First Cold Warrior
Elizabeth Edwards Spalding
This Harry Truman biography is more academic than most books about his colorful personality and presidency. Spalding's final chapter is a substantive treatment of Truman's underestimated faith, particularly in relation to his Cold War anti-Communism.
* * *
Copyright © 2008 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
God and Ronald Reagan: A Spiritual Life is available from ChristianBook.com and other retailers.
Previous Top 5 lists have featured books on World Christianity, Ancient-Future Faith, the Civil Rights Era, Social Justice, Church History, Popular Culture, the Civil War, Apologetics, Atheism, and Sex.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Our digital archives are a work in progress. Let us know if corrections need to be made.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
More from this Issue
Read These Next
- TrendingTim Keller and Beth Moore, On and Off the StageBoth leaders have huge followings. But how well do we really know them?
- From the MagazineBhutanese Nepali Refugees Turn Their Trials into Zeal for EvangelismThousands found Jesus while displaced, which prepared them to plant churches and settle in a new land.
- RelatedWhat Evangelicals Owe HaitiTo understand the island nation’s crisis and what the church must do now, start with what we didn’t do.español
- Editor's PickCriminal or Not, Trump’s Case Is a Moral Test for ChristiansThe former president’s potential arrest shows that character does matter.