"Certainly we do not deny this teaching or attempt to hide it. At the same time, it is not a topic of daily discussion or a regular theme in Sunday sermons.
Mark G. Schroeder, president of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod, on church teaching that the pope is the Antichrist. The synod came under media scrutiny because presidential candidate Michele Bachmann had recently been a member.
"In Jesus' name. Boogity, boogity, boogity. Amen."
Joe Nelms, pastor of Family Life Center in Lebanon, Tennessee, ending his nascar event invocation that made worldwide news for its references to the film Talladega Nights and the use of former racer Darrell Waltrip's catchphrase in its conclusion.
Source: Tradin' Paint, via HamptonRoads.com
"Like Google, Starbucks, and other abstract names, we expect to fill Cru with meaning as it embodies all that we are as we go to the world with the gospel."
Campus Crusade for Christ, explaining its name change to Cru. Some supporters have criticized the organization for dropping the word Christ, but the organization says the new name will open evangelistic opportunities.
"Had I known the full extent of Focus on the Family's beliefs, I would not have accepted the invitation to speak at their event."
Blake Mycoskie, founder of TOMS Shoes and a frequent speaker at Christian conferences, amid pressure from gay rights groups. Mycoskie said he and his organization are "passionate believers in equal human and civil rights for all."
Copyright © 2011 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
More from this Issue
Read These Next
- TrendingJunia, the Female Apostle Imprisoned for the GospelWhat Scripture tells us about the story of this “outstanding” Jewish woman in chains.Português
- From the MagazineIs It Time to Quit ‘Quiet Time’?Effective biblical engagement must be about more than one’s personal experience with Scripture.
- Editor's PickResisting the Impulse of Self-OptimizationIn Lent, we realign our identity in Christ and recover our sense of being loved into existence by our Creator.