Style: Post-hardcore; compare to Emery, Thursday, Circa Survive
Top tracks: "Blinded," "Promises," "Treading Paper"
Due to their constantly evolving sound, Thrice maintains a strong advantage in the Warped Tour scene. Major / Minor boasts their most understated collection of songs to date, easing up on the various gimmicks used in past albums like mathy time signatures, overly distorted guitars, and synthesizer beats. No longer playing with a sense of experimental urgency, these new songs are alternative anthems for the post-20-something emo-rocker. Dustin Kensrue writes lyrics inspired by his Christianity, singing, "We were sons of insurrection, doomed to face the dark alone. 'Til vicarious perfection, dearly won, was made our own … Where's your victory? Tell me now, where's your sting?"
Copyright © 2011 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingJunia, the Female Apostle Imprisoned for the GospelWhat Scripture tells us about the story of this “outstanding” Jewish woman in chains.Português
- From the MagazineIs It Time to Quit ‘Quiet Time’?Effective biblical engagement must be about more than one’s personal experience with Scripture.
- Editor's PickPresbyterian School Mourns 6 Dead in Nashville ShootingVictims include the head of school and the 9-year-old daughter of the church’s lead pastor.español