Style: Dirty South Christian rap; compare to Ludcacris, Waka Flocka Flame, T.I.
Top tracks: "Mayday," "Walk With Me," "I Know"
Juxtaposing grimy hardcore hip-hop beats with uplifting biblically-inspired rhymes, Lecrae has established himself not only as one of the most unique rappers in Christian hip-hop, but in the music world altogether. Lecrae's vocal skills are impressive, his rapid-fire verses always outshining the sing-songy choruses. Major label artist Big K.R.I.T. brings the guest star power to Gravity, but also the most poignant lyrics about the struggle that comes with living a life of faith. He raps, "I was warned that heaven ain't the only place to go / I'm doing what I can cuz there really ain't much time / I leave this in the Lord's hands, I'm tired of cryin'."
Copyright © 2012 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingJunia, the Female Apostle Imprisoned for the GospelWhat Scripture tells us about the story of this “outstanding” Jewish woman in chains.Português
- From the MagazineJohn 3:16: So Loved, So FamiliarWe need fresh eyes for our faith’s basic teachings, no matter how long we’ve studied the Bible.简体中文繁體中文
- RelatedCompany that Trademarked ‘Worship Leader’ Makes Others Drop the TermPopular meme accounts lose social media pages after being reported by Authentic Media, which says it coined the phrase.
- Editor's PickAfter Nashville, Moral Numbness Is Our EnemyShootings have become normal to the American public. But as Christians, we know better.