While we were checking our most-read articles from 2014, we noticed a lot of titles with question marks in them. So we thought we’d run a query on what question-titled articles—both new and old—attracted the most inquirers:
1) Do Pets Go to Heaven? (From 4/12/2012)
An author, a professor, and an animal advocate weigh in.
2) Did Jesus Really Descend to Hell? (From 2/7/2000)
In the Apostles' Creed, there is a statement about Jesus descending into hell. Did he literally go there?
3) Is Suicide Unforgivable? (From 7/10/2000)
What is the biblical hope and comfort we can offer a suicide victim's family and friends?
4) Why Can't Men Be Friends? (From 9/16/2014)
Men and women alike increasingly say they are lonely. It doesn't have to be this way.
5) Do All Children Go to Heaven? (From 5/22/2013)
Reconciling original sin and death of the innocent.
6) You're Divorced—Can You Remarry? (From 10/4/1999)
Three New Testament passages are both more demanding and less restrictive than evangelicals have often acknowledged.
7) Why Am I Not Poor? (From 1/16/2014)
The answer suggests some ways we might combat poverty.
8) Did Jesus Make Mistakes? (From 6/3/2014)
Mark Driscoll says yes, though Jesus never sinned. Experts weigh in.
9) Was Driscoll's Board a Problem? (From 10/17/2014)
Outside Insight: Some say it’s the new norm. Others don’t consider it biblical.
10) Who Owns the Pastor's Sermon? (From 1/8/2014)
Church or pastor? When sermons become books that make millions in royalties, the answer is important.
11) What Will Heaven Be Like? (From 6/1/2003)
Thirty-five frequently asked questions about eternity.
12) What Sermon Illustrations Should Be Banned From Pulpits? (From 7/7/2014)
Not every story helps the preaching moment. Three views.
13) Can You See Too Much Jesus in the Bible? (From 8/26/2014)
Why one seminary thinks so and is sending an Old Testament scholar into early retirement.
14) Are Mormons More Christian Than We Think? (From 5/28/2014)
Stephen Webb asks whether Latter-day theology sheds new light on familiar beliefs.
15) Should Christian Colleges Let Female Faculty Teach Men the Bible? (From 5/14/2014)
A Christian college changes its mind.
16) Does Plan B Cause Abortion? (From 4/5/2013)
The "morning-after pill" is the center of healthcare reform fight and a federal judge's order that it be available over the counter.
17) Would Jesus Hang Out in a Strip Club? (From 7/28/2014)
Testing the boundaries of outreach evangelism.
18) Is It Stealing From God to Split Your Tithe Between the Church and Other Charities? (10/16/2012)
Three views on what it means to give faithfully.
19) Where Are All the Good Stories about Marriage? (From 11/11/2014)
And how Christians in the arts can bring them back.
20) Real Transformation Happens When? (From 5/29/2014)
In the TGC/Tullian Tchividjian dustup, I’m not hearing much about a key part of the gospel
21) Who Are We to Judge? (From 10/8/2001)
Did Jesus forbid us from judging others?
22) Evangelicals' Favorite Same-Sex Marriage Law? (From 1/17/2014)
Oklahoma follows Utah as latest example of why more church-state experts advise: If you can’t beat them, amend them.
23) Is This the End for Mideast Christianity? (From 11/4/2014)
For Mideast Christians, 2014 has been a year of bloody disaster. Are these churches on the edge of extinction?
24) What's Up With the Ugly Baby? (From 3/1/2004)
Everyone's asking about the Passion scene where Satan is carrying a hideous infant.
25) Should We Stop Asking Jesus Into Our Hearts? (From 7/13/2012)
Doubting our salvation and false assurance are both exacerbated by the clichéd ways in which we speak about the gospel.
26) Do Muslims and Christians Worship the Same God? (From 4/15/2011)
Our ability to live together in peace, argues theologian Miroslav Volf, depends on how we answer the question.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more