From celebrity happenings to the Supreme Court’s gay marriage decision, Her.meneutics weighed in week after week to address the biggest stories in the news and the Christian blogosophere.
Here are our readers’ favorite posts of the year:
1. Why Reality TV Can’t Handle the Josh Duggar Scandal(Kate Shellnutt)
After reports that the oldest brother on TLC’s 19 Kids and Counting had molested family members years before their reality TV fame, Shellnutt called for the show’s end:
Not all issues can be fake-resolved over the course of an episode or season, especially not involving conditions as difficult as abuse, mental illness, and addiction. In this case, I believe it would be unfair and potentially hurtful for TLC to even try.
2. 'Pioneer Girl' Laura Ingalls Wilder's Real Memoir Overturns Our False Nostalgia (Jennifer Grant)
Wilder’s never-before-published memoir became a bestseller thanks to Little House on the Prairie fans. Grant wrote:
Not long into reading Pioneer Girl, that sentimental fog that’s risen in me whenever I’ve thought about Laura Ingalls completely burned off…. The real Laura Ingalls saw a “much grittier world” than did the fictional one.
3. To the Christian Men and Women Debating Yoga Pants (Lore Ferguson Wilbert and Paul Maxwell)
Amid yet another debate pitting women’s “modesty” against men’s “lust,” Wilbert and Maxwell teamed up to tackle the real issue:
It’s less about pants, no matter how thick or how tight, than it is about people—people who choose what to wear each day, who weigh their personal comfort and social responsibility, who negotiate liberty and care for ...1
Already a CT subscriber? Log in for full digital access.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more