Modern Christian Theology
Christopher Ben Simpson
(T&T Clark, February)
By putting the story of modern Christian theology against the backdrop of the history of modernity itself, Simpson examines the ways in which theology became modern, while showing how theology contributed to the rise of modernity.
None Like Him: 10 Ways God Is Different from Us (and Why That's a Good Thing)
Wilkin highlights the joy of seeing our limited selves in relation to a limitless God—and how realizing this frees us from striving to be more than we were created to be, which is the root of human sin and rebellion.
The Church: A Theological and Historical Account
(Baker Academic, April)
Bray discusses the four classic marks of the church—its oneness, holiness, catholicity, and apostolicity. He then surveys the ecumenical climate today and suggests ways that these marks should manifest in our present global context.
A Theology in Outline
Jenson frames all of Christian theology as a response to the question, “Son of man, can these bones live?” (Ezek. 37:3). He considers how the story that God lives with his people continues, and whether Christian faith has become a valley of dry bones.
Delivered from the Elements of the World: Atonement, Justification, Mission
Peter J. Leithart
(IVP Academic, May)
Leithart explores how the death and resurrection of a Jewish rabbi in the first century is the decisive event in history, and discusses the cultural and social implications of the Atonement.
Reviving Old Scratch: Demons and the Devil for Doubters and the Disenchanted
In a time when many people doubt the Devil exists, Beck provides a biblical and bold vision of spiritual warfare in which Christians resist the Devil by joining God’s campaign to interrupt the world with love.
An Anomalous Jew: Paul among Jews, Greeks, And Romans
By exploring Paul’s Jewishness in relation to other Jews—including his fellow Jewish Christians—and to the Roman Empire, Bird claims that Paul was a strange figure who held both common and controversial Jewish beliefs.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
More from this Issue
Read These Next
- TrendingHillsong Says It Is Moving ForwardNew revelations will require increased accountability, but pastor wants to look to the future.
- From the MagazineBhutanese Nepali Refugees Turn Their Trials into Zeal for EvangelismThousands found Jesus while displaced, which prepared them to plant churches and settle in a new land.
- RelatedThe Problem with Christian Book EndorsementsPublishers and authors have played along by pushing celebrity blurbs—but it’s time to rewrite the rules of promotion.
- Editor's PickGen Z Christians Want Leaders to Keep It RealThat means dropping the façade and admitting their own struggles.