The former archbishop of Buenos Aires, Argentina, Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio succeeded Pope Benedict XVI following his retirement in early 2013. Pope Francis represents many firsts for the Catholic Church, including the first pope from the Americas, the first from the Jesuit tradition, and the first to take the name Francis, after St. Francis of Assisi.
Why Pope Francis Excites (Most) Evangelical Leaders
Bergoglio expected to focus on poverty and set a friendlier tone in Protestant-Catholic relations.
- Why Christians Who Speak Jesus’ Language Can’t Agree on Their NameIt took Aramaic speakers 1,500 years to agree on Christology, now their main debate is over Assyrian identity. Could Pope Francis’ visit to Iraq encourage unity?Emil Anton|
- Beyond Pope’s Apology, Indigenous Christians Carve Own Path to HealingRecovering languages and contextualizing theology help Canada's First Nations communities reconcile faith and culture after residential schools made them "hate the name of Jesus."Isabel Ong|
- Celibate Priests: What You Need to KnowHow we've discussed clerical celibacy over the years.CT Editors|
- The Jury Is Still Out on Europe’s Religious FutureThe moral revolution of the 1960s dealt a blow to Christian faith on the continent, but it might not have the final word.Thomas Albert Howard|
- Protestants Follow Catholics' Lead on Martyr Tourism as Pope Francis Visits Uganda(UPDATED) A swampy site that draws millions across East Africa symbolizes religious freedom. One day it may prove better than gorillas for the economy.Paul Glader in Kampala, Uganda|
- Pope's Creation Teachings Nothing New for Francis Schaeffer FansTwo works on environmental care, 45 years apart, show what evangelicals and Catholics can agree on.John Murdock|
- Should the Lord’s Prayer Be Changed?Experts weigh in on Pope Francis' recent support for changing the wording "lead us not into temptation."Caleb Lindgren|
- The Top 20 Most-Read Gleanings of 2015The 50 countries where it's most difficult to be a Christian, 'The Boy from Heaven' retracts his story, Elisabeth Elliot passes through gates of splendor, and more.Joshua Wood|
- Almost No One in the US Believes in a ‘Consistent Ethic of Life’Pope Francis’ critique of President Trump would apply to 96 percent of Americans, surveys suggest.Ryan P. Burge|
- From Antichrist to Brother in Christ: How Protestant Pastors View the PopeLifeWay Research finds Pope Francis has improved opinions of Catholic Church.Lisa Cannon Green - Facts & Trends|