Subscribe to this Podcast:
To be human is to be limited, but sometimes pastors aren’t sure if they’re allowed to apply that truth to themselves.
When congregants ask their pastors to serve as functional messiahs, or when pastors present themselves as saviors, codependency arises and interferes with true care. On this episode of The Art of Pastoring, Jared Wilson and Ronnie Martin talk about seasons when they’ve struggled with codependency in their church relationships. Listen in as Jared and Ronnie remind one another of the true savior, discuss setting boundaries and expectations, and talk about providing genuine care.
Produced by Mike Cosper, Ronnie Martin, and Jared Wilson
Edited and Mixed by Aaron Leslie
Theme Song "Guide Me O Thou Great Jehovah" by Jeremy Casella
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingDon’t Pretend the Ugandan Homosexuality Law Is ChristianNot everything that’s a sin is a crime—let alone one punishable by death.Français简体中文繁體中文
- From the MagazineWhen Politics Saved 25 Million LivesTwenty years ago, Republicans, Democrats, evangelicals, gay activists, and African leaders joined forces to combat AIDS. Will their legacy survive today’s partisanship?
- Editor's PickPCA’s 50th Anniversary Comes During a Season of GriefPresbyterians expect less fight and more fatigue as they gather following the Covenant shooting and the deaths of Harry Reeder and Tim Keller.