Subscribe to this Podcast:
What are Christians to do when political or religious differences are harming—or even ending—their relationships? Why are so many modern people so deeply lonely? And what might it look like to live in peaceful community with people we see as enemies?
On this episode of The Russell Moore Show, Peter Wehner, senior fellow at The Trinity Forum and a writer for the The Atlantic and The New York Times, joins Moore to discuss friendship, loss, and conflict in today’s world. Wehner and Moore share reflections on their friend Michael Gerson, adviser and speechwriter to George W. Bush and then a Washington Post columnist and author, who recently passed away from cancer at the age of 58. Their insights into Gerson’s suffering, dignity, and civic work include godly ways of thinking about loneliness, friendship, and living in light of the gospel.
Wehner and Moore also discuss the dangers of cynicism, the role of social media in political debate, and how gratitude and reconciliation can enhance our lives and relationships.
Resources mentioned in this episode include:
- Peter Wehner, “My friend, Mike Gerson” and “The Evangelical Church is Breaking Apart”
- Yuval Levin, “Remembering My Friend Mike Gerson”
- David Brooks, The Second Mountain
- Jonathan Haidt,The Righteous Mind
- Amanda Ripley, High Conflict
Click here for a trial membership at Christianity Today.
“The Russell Moore Show” is a production of Christianity Today
Executive Producers: Erik Petrik, Russell Moore, and Mike Cosper
Host: Russell Moore
Producer: Ashley Hales
Associate Producers: Abby Perry and Azurae Phelps
CT Administration: Christine Kolb
Social Media: Kate Lucky
Director of Operations for CT Media: Matt Stevens
Production Assistance: coreMEDIA
Audio Engineer: Kevin Duthu
Coordinator: Beth Grabenkort
Video Producer: John Roland
Theme Song: “Dusty Delta Day” by Lennon Hutton
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingJunia, the Female Apostle Imprisoned for the GospelWhat Scripture tells us about the story of this “outstanding” Jewish woman in chains.Português
- From the MagazineBhutanese Nepali Refugees Turn Their Trials into Zeal for EvangelismThousands found Jesus while displaced, which prepared them to plant churches and settle in a new land.
- RelatedCompany that Trademarked ‘Worship Leader’ Makes Others Drop the TermPopular meme accounts lose social media pages after being reported by Authentic Media, which says it coined the phrase.
- Editor's PickAfter Nashville, Moral Numbness Is Our EnemyShootings have become normal to the American public. But as Christians, we know better.