Subscribe to this Podcast:
When Paul Pelosi, husband of speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, was attacked, social media erupted with jokes. Why? What is at the heart of such a calloused response to violence?
On this episode of The Russell Moore Show, Moore welcomes Elizabeth Neumann to discuss online radicalization, loneliness, and how Christians can navigate an era of political hatred. Formerly the assistant secretary for counterterrorism and threat prevention at the Department of Homeland Security, Neumann is now a commentator on ABC News and the chief strategy officer at Moonshot, a social enterprise working to end online harms ranging from child sexual exploitation to political extremism.
Neumann and Moore talk about the environmental factors that are creating the right conditions for political violence in America. They consider the role of online communities in radicalization, the power of rhetoric, and how to build resilience in children and teens. And they candidly address the ways the church has negatively contributed to the modern state of affairs, while also expressing hope and sharing ideas for a better way forward.
Resources mentioned in this episode or recommended by the guest include:
- Ben Sasse, Them
- Alan Noble, You Are Not Your Own
- Life After Hate
- Parents for Peace
- SCREEN Hate (McCain Institute)
- Moonshot's Monthly Bulletin
- Anti-Defamation League's Center on Extremism
- Center for Strategic and International Studies Report: Pushed to Extremes: Domestic Terrorism amid Polarization and Protest
Click here for a trial membership at Christianity Today.
“The Russell Moore Show” is a production of Christianity Today
Executive Producers: Erik Petrik, Russell Moore, and Mike Cosper
Host: Russell Moore
Producer: Ashley Hales
Associate Producers: Abby Perry and Azurae Phelps
CT Administration: Christine Kolb
Social Media: Kate Lucky
Director of Operations for CT Media: Matt Stevens
Production Assistance: coreMEDIA
Audio Engineer: Kevin Duthu
Coordinator: Beth Grabenkort
Video Producer: John Roland
Theme Song: “Dusty Delta Day” by Lennon Hutton
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingHillsong Says It Is Moving ForwardNew revelations will require increased accountability, but pastor wants to look to the future.
- From the MagazineBhutanese Nepali Refugees Turn Their Trials into Zeal for EvangelismThousands found Jesus while displaced, which prepared them to plant churches and settle in a new land.
- RelatedAfter Pushing for UMC Unity, Former Bishop Joins New DenominationThe Global Methodist Church welcomes Scott Jones, who led Methodists in Texas and had advocated for the “extreme center” and “staying at the table.”
- Editor's PickGen Z Christians Want Leaders to Keep It RealThat means dropping the façade and admitting their own struggles.