Subscribe to this Podcast:
Chances are, a child in your care at Sunday school, on the baseball diamond, or in the classroom has lost someone they loved. Research estimates that 1.5 million children in the U.S. will lose one or both parents by the age of 15. Almost 8 percent of children will lose a sibling during their childhood. Children suffer the loss of loved ones—parents, grandparents, siblings, classmates—just like adults do, but their experiences differ significantly from the adults around them.
Between their two families, Christianity Today’s editor-in-chief Daniel Harrell and author Clarissa Moll parent five children. In this episode of Surprised by Grief, they parse out the differences between childhood and adult grief. With honesty and vulnerability, Daniel and Clarissa talk about parenting children through loss and what our children can teach us about resiliency in the face of tragedy. Whether you’re a coach, teacher, or relative, this conversation highlights an often overlooked subject, offering encouragement and practical help. Our special guest, Abbie Abbott shares her story of losing her mother to lung cancer, a journey that prompted her to reflect on her mother’s own childhood grief experience.
Surprised by Grief is a production of Christianity Today.
Produced by Mike Cosper
Written by Daniel Harrell and Clarissa Moll
Edited and mixed by Mark Owens
Music by The Porters Gate
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingChristian and Missionary Alliance Will Ordain WomenMinisters may now use the title “pastor” regardless of gender.
- From the MagazineOur Worship Is Turning Praise into Secular ProfitWith corporate consolidation in worship music, more entities are invested in the songs sung on Sunday mornings. How will their financial incentives shape the church?español
- RelatedDied: Tim Keller, New York City Pastor Who Modeled Winsome Witness“We are more sinful and flawed in ourselves than we ever dared believe, yet at the very same time we are more loved and accepted in Jesus Christ than we ever dared hope.”españolPortuguêsFrançais简体中文한국어Indonesian繁體中文русскийУкраїнська日本語
- Editor's PickPCA’s 50th Anniversary Comes During a Season of GriefPresbyterians expect less fight and more fatigue as they gather following the Covenant shooting and the deaths of Harry Reeder and Tim Keller.