Subscribe to this Podcast:
José Rojas went from a 1.7 GPA to a career at the White House and a lifetime of empowering others, including the host of this podcast. Today’s episode is part one of “Lessons from My Mentor,” our new four-part, pod-class series on mentorship. To kick off the series Heather sits down with Pastor Rojas, her personal mentor, to discuss the power of servant leadership. José recounts his ministry journey and explains how he learned the importance of using his influence to create transformative memories for others.
We also visit with our favorite social media whiz Brady Shearer for this week’s #Blessed. He responds to a critical comment on his social media post about whether or not Christians should even have a social media strategy. You do not want to miss Brady’s advice for how to create more engaging social media posts. Make sure to let us know your thoughts about this segment by typing in ViralJesusPod on Instagram or Twitter and including #Blessed with your comment.
Born in East Los Angeles, Pastor José Rojas serves as president of Puente Ministries, a ministry that exists to improve the cultures of organizations through the development of servant leaders. As a national leader, Pastor Rojas was called upon to work closely with the White House, serving under two US presidents to develop and implement a variety of humanitarian objectives that met the needs of millions of Americans. After serving in a presidential summit on volunteerism in 1997, Pastor Rojas worked with General Colin Powell to launch the national organization, America’s Promise Alliance, resulting in his office launching 70 tutoring centers for underprivileged children across the United States.
Brady Shearer is the director of Pro Church Tools and the church-software platform Nucleus. His work focuses on helping churches navigate the biggest communication shift in 500 years.
Heather Thompson Day is an associate professor of communication at Andrews University in Berrien Springs, Michigan. She is the author of eight books, including I’ll See You Tomorrow and It’s Not Your Turn. Reach out to Heather on Twitter @HeatherTDay and on Instagram @heatherthompsonday.
Viral Jesus is a production of Christianity Today
Host and creator: Heather Thompson Day
Executive Producer: Ed Gilbreath
Producer: Loren Joseph
Associate Producer: Azurae Phelps
Mix Engineer: Alex Carter
Director of CT Podcasts: Mike Cosper
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingChristian and Missionary Alliance Will Ordain WomenMinisters may now use the title “pastor” regardless of gender.
- From the MagazineHow One Family’s Faith Survived Three Generations in the PulpitWith a front-row seat to their parents’ failures and burnout, a long line of pastor’s kids still went into ministry. Why?
- RelatedRussell Moore: I Already Miss Tim Keller’s Wise VoiceThe late pastor theologian gave strong counsel to me and so many others in ministry.
- Editor's PickDied: Pat Robertson, Broadcast Pioneer Who Brought Christian TV to the MainstreamWith CBN, “The 700 Club,” Regent, the Christian Coalition, and a run for president, he changed evangelicals’ place in public life.