Subscribe to this Podcast:
Do you ever feel like it’s more important to “behave” at church rather than be yourself? With songs like “Church Gone Wild” and “Hammer Time,” Reach Records 1K Phew has dedicated his life to showing listeners that we don’t have to wear a mask when we sit in front of a pulpit. In this episode of VOICES’ Where Ya From? podcast, 1K Phew joins host Rasool Berry to discuss his music, upbringing, and reconciling who you are inside and outside of church.
1K Phew is among a new breed of Atlanta artists taking the trap sensibility and elevating it to great effect. At twenty-seven years old, Phew’s rise from a local rapper with swagger to a compelling artist equipped with a message, has been refreshing to watch. He’s fun and engaging, no doubt, but he’s so much more, as evidenced by his mixtapes Sunday Night (2015) and Life (2016). Phew’s got plenty of swag and wisdom to impart. Tracks like “TGIF” and “Church Gone Wild,” his biggest releases to date, show an artist who is vibrant and dynamic. His sing/rap flow has an infectious quality that is as catchy as it is alluring, and commercially viable as it is street-wise.
His new mixtape Never Too Late is sure to build on his recent momentum, with hits like “Back Then” and “Load of Me,” an anthem for those not afraid to embrace their individuality. It’s no surprise that his sound—which Phew has dubbed “New CHUUCH”—is equally at home in the club or the church, and rappers like 1K Phew are proving that faith expressed with authenticity can be a welcome treat for listeners.
Notes & Quotes:
- (On his song “Church Gone Wild”) “I feel like we got to go to church and just be in the shell and kind of act fake . . . [but] God knows us for who we are. He’s going to see us regardless [of] whether we put on or not.”
- (On church) “You got to go in and you go to be yourself because the more you be yourself, the stronger you get . . . the more you just all the way around become a better person and a better child of God.”
- Learn more about 1K Phew on Reach Records’ website.
- Follow 1K Phew on Instagram.
- Listen to 1K Phew on Apple Music and Spotify.
- Explore music produced by Zaytoven.
- Check out how to get involved in Kids Across America sports camps.
- Visit our website to sign up for emails. Get new episodes sent straight to your email.
- Tell us how much you love Where Ya From? by rating us five stars and leaving us a review.
- Check out our VOICES Collection from Our Daily Bread Ministries
- Follow Where Ya From?on Instagram.
- Follow VOICES on Instagram.
- The life of David, 1 & 2 Samuel
- Acts 16:25–40
From Our Daily Bread Ministries in partnership with Christianity Today.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingDon’t Pretend the Ugandan Homosexuality Law Is ChristianNot everything that’s a sin is a crime—let alone one punishable by death.简体中文繁體中文
- From the MagazineI Find Comfort in the Divine WarriorA surprising psalm changed my view on God’s presence during seasons of trial.
- RelatedWorship Music Is Emotionally Manipulative. Do You Trust the Leader Plucking the Strings?The Spirit is at work, but so are the mechanisms around high-production sets.españolPortuguês
- Editor's PickPCA’s 50th Anniversary Comes During a Season of GriefPresbyterians expect less fight and more fatigue as they gather following the Covenant shooting and the deaths of Harry Reeder and Tim Keller.