The Didache, one of the earliest Christian writings, commands, “You shall not murder a child by abortion nor kill that which is born.” But when the Supreme Court ruled on Roe v. Wade in 1973, most evangelicals considered abortion a Catholic issue. By the 1980s, largely due to the efforts of Francis Schaeffer, C. Everett Koop, and others, it became the centerpiece of evangelical social action. Christians continue to debate what drives abortions in the U.S. and abroad and how best to end them.
How to Greet the End of ‘Roe’
Faithful responses to the Supreme Court decision should involve new care practices.español简体中文繁體中文
The Abortion Wars: What Most Christians Don’t Know
Ours is not the first generation to fight for the unborn.
Abortion and the Court
In its Roe decision, the Supreme Court has clearly decided for paganism.
- True or False: 90% of Babies with Down Syndrome are AbortedA new study demonstrates the role of culture in welcoming children with Down syndrome.
- Not Worth a Shot: Why Some Christians Refuse Vaccinations on Moral GroundsThe use of fetal cell lines from the 1960s is another sticking point in the vaccine debate.español
- Goodbye Roe v. Wade: Pro-Life Evangelicals Celebrate the Ruling They’ve Waited ForSupreme Court: The landmark abortion-rights case was “egregiously wrong and on a collision course with the Constitution from the day it was decided.”español简体中文繁體中文
- Why We Need ‘Useless’ PeopleBabies with Down syndrome are aborted all over the world for being 'a burden to society.' Here's how we can advocate for them.
- They’re Not Religious. But They Oppose Abortion.“Nones” take a more prominent place in the pro-life movement.
- Pro-Life Protestor Acquitted in Federal CaseThe case of Mark Houck was one of more than two dozen the DOJ has pursued against pro-life protestors since “Dobbs.”
- Does Plan B Cause Abortion?The "morning-after pill" is the center of healthcare reform fight and a federal judge's order that it be available over the counter.
- Under Municipal Regulations, UK Abortion Clinics ‘Safe’ From Silent PrayerTwo British citizens face criminal penalties for violating buffer zones.
- Mississippi Evangelicals Prepare to Welcome Dobbs BabiesChristians open their arms to the 5,000 children state officials expect to be born now that Roe v. Wade has been overturned.
- What’s New in Evangelical Views on Abortion? The Age GapBetween 2016 and 2020, younger white evangelicals started to shift away from pro-life positions while older ones solidified their stances.