Some rejoice over discoveries like the Dead Sea Scrolls or the James Ossuary because they help to authenticate the Bible. Others rejoice because they aid scholars and theologians in understanding the cultural context surrounding biblical events and teachings. While archaeological discoveries do not come without their controversy, our understanding of the Bible, both its content and context, continues to expand thanks to the study of these finds.
Biblical Archaeology's Dusty Little Secret
The James bone box controversy reveals the politics beneath the science
Did the Exodus Never Happen?
How two Egyptologists are countering scholars who want to turn the Old Testament into myth.
Archaeology's Rebel: Bible in One Hand, Spade in the Other
Eilat Mazar is unafraid to claim archaeological finds of biblical proportions.
- Finders of the Lost Ark?Why some amateurs are stirring up dust and little else.
- Biblical Archaeology’s Top 10 Discoveries of 2020Evidence of idol worship, evil kings, and Christian churches add to our understanding of the world of the Bible.简体中文繁體中文
- Biblical Archaeology’s Top 10 Discoveries of 2022From papyrus in Montana to ivory in Jerusalem, these are the discoveries that made scholars of the biblical world say “wow” this year.
- Israeli Academics Question Archaeological DiscoveriesAnd other news briefs from around the world.Français
- Biblical Archaeology’s Top 10 Discoveries of 2021Evidence of Herod’s green thumb, Roman crucifixion methods, and Philistine bananas add to our understanding of the world of the Bible.Português简体中文Indonesian繁體中文русский
- As 10 principais descobertas da arqueologia bíblica em 2021Evidências do talento de Herodes para jardinagem, de métodos romanos de crucificação e de bananas filisteias contribuem para nossa compreensão do mundo da Bíblia.English简体中文Indonesian繁體中文русский
- Despite Disappointing Some, New Mark Manuscript Is Earliest YetBible scholars have been waiting for the Gospel fragment’s publication for years.
- Biblical Archaeology’s Top 10 Discoveries of 2019A glimpse at the important excavation work revealed this year.简体中文繁體中文
- Sodom Destroyed by Meteor, Scientists Say. Biblical Archaeologists Not Convinced.Naturalistic explanation for biblical miracle doesn’t resolve questions of chronology at Tall el-Hammam excavation in Jordan.
- Five Ways Biblical Geography Shapes Our View of God’s MissionTracing the terrain of Scripture’s stories shows us how God works in our physical world.español