Stories and Storytelling
From the earliest biblical narratives to the 20th-century classics of C.S. Lewis and the Inklings to today’s powerhouse Christian publishing industry, stories have been essential vehicles for matters of faith. Not only are stories the chosen method for conveying biblical truth, but they are also central to the Christian faith as an imaginative art form, a means of sharing one’s testimony, and for their ability to make abstract and often complex issues of faith accessible to those within the evangelical community and beyond. Perhaps Lewis described the appeal of stories best when he said, “[Stories] can mediate imaginative life to the masses while not being contemptible to the few.”
- Reason and Logic Belong to God. So Do Imagination and Myth.A new book explores what C. S. Lewis believed about the multileveled nature of reality.
- God Chose Moms to Carry Out His PlansThe Scriptures are full of stories spotlighting the vital role of motherhood in God’s mission.
- Historic Premillennialism: Taking the Long ViewMost early Christian thinkers weren't troubled by the delay of Jesus' return. They were troubled by those who thought he was coming soon.
- J.R.R. Tolkien: Did You Know?Windows on the life and work of J.R.R. Tolkien
- Testimony: When God Writes Your Life StoryEven while I was raised far from Christian faith, God revealed himself through classic children's books.español
- Stephen King Wrestles with the DivineThe horror writer is no fan of organized religion, but his stories don’t shy away from belief in things unseen.
- David Foster Wallace Broke My HeartTen years after his suicide, I marvel at his genius but mourn the crushing burdens he carried.
- The Slow WorkEpisode 2|45minCan I Get a Witness? with Sara GrovesHow we tell the story is just as important as what we say.
- Naming Names in the Abortion DebateAs a new “street-level” history demonstrates, you can’t tell the bigger story without telling a series of smaller, more personal stories.
- Tell Me Your Beliefs on Sex Without Telling Me Your Beliefs on SexOver time, our embodied lives reliably reveal the stories and myths that shape us.