As for Phil, it's funny the way life works out sometimes. A few months after I'd said those mean things, Phil became my lab partner in science class. To my surprise, it was an awesome partnership. Luckily, he wasn't the kind of guy to hold a grudge. He treated me with a great deal of respect—just as I should have given him right from the start. In the end, our friendship turned out to be pretty … cool.
- What part did Christy's friends play in her response to Phil? How do your own friends influence the way you treat others?
- Think about a time when someone said something hurtful to you. How did their words affect your mood and your self-esteem? Did the experience help you see why God wants us to use our words to encourage rather than discourage others? See Colossians 4:6.
- Think about someone in your school who often gets picked on. What could you do to lift this person's spirit?
- Read James 3:3-12. What does this passage tell us about our tongues? How do we keep our tongues from causing pain and destruction?
- Over the next few days, make a conscious effort to compliment rather than criticize.
Copyright © 2009 by the author or Christianity Today/Ignite Your Faith magazine.
Click here for reprint information on Ignite Your Faith.