Questions to Ask Before You Preach
To be more specific
- In one sentence, what's this sermon about?
- What theological category would this fit under?
- What do I want my listeners to know?
- What do I want my listeners to do?
- What do I want my listeners to become?
- How does this message fit with the larger vision?
To be more relevant
- So what?
- Oh really?
To be more passionate
- Do I believe this message will make a difference?
- Has this sermon made a difference in my life this week?
- Have I earnestly prayed for God to speak through me?
- Have I used the materials of others inappropriately?
- Have I tried to make myself look better than I am?
- Will my listeners know I care about them?