Nearly every observer of America's religious scene agrees: the past three or four decades have brought radical changes. What has been the most significant change?
- A religious reawakening with an emphasis on personal relationships with Jesus Christ?
- The replacement of the neighborhood congregation by the regional church?
- The expanded role of women in the church?
- The evolution from the 1960s' emphasis on racial integration to the 1990s' affirmation of ethnic separation?
- The new era of contemporary Christian music?
- The unprecedented increase in the number of large congregations that project high expectations of anyone seeking to become a full member?
- The change in emphasis from converting non-believers to transforming believers into disciples?
- The impact of television on worship and preaching?
- The gradual reduction in the number of Christians who identify themselves as "Protestants"?
- The erosion of denominational affiliation as a central component in a congregation's identity?
- The recent rapid increase in the number of congregations with multiple meeting places?