Even with the phenomenal opportunities we have to spread the gospel today, much of the world still waits for the good news of Jesus. The numbers reveal the need:
- Of more than 11,000 people groups, some 6,400 remain unreached (that is, less than 2 percent of the population is evangelical Christian).
- More than 2,000 of these groups have a population of 100,000 people or more.
- Of these 2,000 large groups, slightly more than 600 are still unengaged.
- Some 4,100 groups with a total of 450 million people have no portion of the Scripture available in their language.
- Each day the world population grows by about 500,000, and the number of people not having an adequate opportunity to respond to the gospel increases by almost 91,000.
This past year, my combined roles as Dean of the Billy Graham School at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary and theological education consultant for the international missions agency of the Southern Baptist Convention have allowed me to see global outreach up close. I ...1