It appears that all my news gathering algorithms were no match for the slow news cycle of a long weekend. Nonetheless, we have a great list for you:
- Worship leaders of all makes and models convened at Calvin College last week to sort out the music of the last six decades.
- Joyce Meyer, Joel Osteen, and T. D. Jakes were among the authors caught in last week's showdown between Hachette Book Group and Amazon.
- Richard Dawkins: "I would describe myself as a secular Christian in the same sense as secular Jews have a feeling for nostalgia and ceremonies." The author was presenting the first volume of his memoirs and made the remark in response to a comment from an American minister.
- Interview of the Week (1): How important is reading to the development of spiritual life? Can you be illiterate and be a faithful Christian?
- Interview of the Week (2): The InterVarsity Fall 2014 Catalog is remarkable for its omission of authors of color.
- Last week an opinionated blogger suggested that the meditation practice known as Lectio Divina was "dangerous." Here is an informed response.