Theme of the Week: Get Real: The Key to Genuine Friendship
Monday, May 19, 2014
[ see ratings/comments | 1 Comments ]
Key Bible Verse: [God] grants a treasure of common sense to the honest. He is a shield to those who walk with integrity. (Proverbs 2:7)
Dig Deeper: Proverbs 2:1-8
People of integrity do what they say they will do; the substance of their hearts is expressed through their actions. Ask yourself these questions, and answer them honestly:
- When I say I will show up for an appointment at a specific time, do I show up on time?
- If I have signed a credit card application agreeing to pay my creditors each month, do I pay them when payments are due?
- If I have committed to marriage vows, am I keeping them?
- Do I honor my commitments to family members (including my children), rather than repeatedly letting them down?
- Am I an honest employee?
- Am I honest about my weaknesses and flaws?
- Do I exaggerate my own abilities?
- Do I tell half-truths or "white lies"?
- Do I flatter people to gain their approval?
- Do I minimize or give damaging reports of others to make myself look good?
These questions can all be answered with one word: yes or no. Once you have answered them, I recommend that you examine your responses and ask yourself why you answered yes or no.
—Van Moody in The People Factor
My Response: I will ask myself these questions and then reflect prayerfully and honestly on why I answered each question as I did.
Adapted from The People Factor by Van Moody (Thomas Nelson, 2014) by permission. All rights reserved by the copyright holder and/or the publisher. May not be reproduced.
Copyright © 2014 by Christianity Today/Men of Integrity magazine. Click here for reprint information on Men of Integrity.
Special Offer: Free Trial Issue
Yes!, send me a free trial issue of Men of Integrity.
If I like it, I'll pay just $19.95 and get five more bimonthly issues (a full year in all), plus complete web access. If not, I'll simply return my bill marked "cancel", owe nothing and keep my free trial issue.
Canadian Orders | Give a Gift
Prayer for the Week
Heavenly Father, impress upon me the need to have genuine friendships with a few trustworthy Christian guys. Show me how to relate to them man-to-man in ways that foster honesty, build community, and promote personal growth.
Use your Men of Integrity login to easily comment on this article.
Not part of the community? Subscribe, or on public pages, register for a free account.