- Dartmouth College administrators recently blocked Campus Crusade for Christ from using campus mail to distribute more than 1,000 copies of C. S. Lewis's Mere Christianity to first-year students. The Hanover, New Hampshire, school reversed its decision after protests from conservatives and local media, denying that any restrictions were imposed. Catholic, Episcopal, Jewish, and Lutheran campus ministry leaders have requested that the books not be distributed to students of their religious traditions, as well as non-Christians. Campus Crusade leaders estimate this would represent half of the first-year class.
- Focus on the Family ceased publication of Pastor's Family with the December/January issue after determining the magazine was not economically viable. The bimonthly began publishing in October 1996. Beginning in March, it will be replaced with a four-page newsletter inserted nine times a year in Focus on the Family magazine editions sent to pastors and church leaders.
- Trustees of Toccoa Falls College in Georgia voted October 15 to merge with Trinity College of New Port Richey, Florida. Paul Alford will serve as president for both campuses, which will operate under the name Toccoa Falls-Trinity College of Florida.
- Donald B. Patterson, 75, former vice president of World Relief and a founder of the Presbyterian Church in America (PCA), died December 25 in Jackson, Mississippi. Patterson founded the PCA organization Mission to the World.
- Christian singers Amy Grant, 38, and husband Gary Chapman, 41, of Nashville announced a separation on December 30 after 16 years of marriage. They have three children.
- Carson Pue, 43, is the new international president of Arrow Leadership Ministries, succeeding founding president Leighton Ford. The international office has moved from Charlotte, North Carolina, to Vancouver, British Columbia. Pue served for the past four years as executive director of the Canadian office of Insight for Living Ministries.
Already a CT subscriber? Log in for full digital access.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 60+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more