- Christian conservative ties to GOP strained, not broken | Where conservative Christians cast their votes may not reflect disappointment in Republicans (USA Today)
- Evangelical-GOP alliance weakens | The number of conservative Christians with a favorable view of the party has plummeted from 74 percent to 54 percent between 2004 and this year, according to the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press. Evangelicals comprise more than one-third of GOP voters. But analysts say it's far too soon to write off the powerful Republican-evangelical alliance that helped the party dominate in the 2004 election (Associated Press)
- Hot-button social issues dim in Ohio Senate race | Economy, war have grabbed voters' attention (The Washington Post)
- Romney consults evangelical leaders | Governor Mitt Romney is convening meetings with small groups of evangelical leaders to seek guidance for his possible presidential run. (The Boston Globe)
- Democrats find religion, churchgoing voters | Democratic politicians begin to talk about their faith (The Washington Post)
- In Ohio, Democrats show a religious side to voters | Ohio has become the leading edge of national Democratic efforts to win over religious voters, including evangelicals (The New York Times)
- In key House races, Democrats run to the Right | Democrats have turned to conservative and moderate candidates who fit the profiles of their districts more closely than the profile of the party (The New York Times)
- A GOP leader and star struggles for traction | The political world has changed for Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania since he rode an anti-establishment wave into the Senate in 1994 (The New York Times)
- Conserving that compassion | If the last month has taught us anything about the Republican Party, it is that homophobia is campaign strategy, not conviction (Editorial, The New York Times)
Already a CT subscriber? Log in for full digital access.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more