7,722 Hate crimes reported in America in 2006, a 7.8% increase from 2005.
1,462 Reported hate crimes motivated by religion.
967 Anti-Jewish hate crimes reported.
156 Anti-Islamic hate crimes reported.
135 Combined anti-Protestant (59) and anti-Catholic (76) hate crimes.
66% Americans who say God definitely (39%) or probably (27%) created human beings pretty much in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years.
15% Americans who say they would be more likely to vote for a presidential candidate who does not believe in evolution.
29% Americans who say they would be less likely to vote for such a candidate.
1 in 5 Sports fans who say they do things in an attempt to bring good luck to their favorite team or avoid jinxing them.
1 in 4 College basketball fans who say this. They are the most likely fans to say so.
(Source: Associated Press)
Copyright © 2008 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
See our earlier Go Figure postings from December 2007, November 2007, October 2007, September 2007, August 2007, July 2007, June 2007, May 2007, April 2007, March 2007, February 2007, January 2007, and earlier issues.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Our digital archives are a work in progress. Let us know if corrections need to be made.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
More from this Issue
Read These Next
- TrendingRick Warren: The Great Commission’s ‘Go and Teach’ Applies to WomenThe former pastor of ex-SBC Saddleback shares why his views on women changed.
- From the MagazineBhutanese Nepali Refugees Turn Their Trials into Zeal for EvangelismThousands found Jesus while displaced, which prepared them to plant churches and settle in a new land.
- RelatedWhat Evangelicals Owe HaitiTo understand the island nation’s crisis and what the church must do now, start with what we didn’t do.español
- Editor's PickIs It Time to Quit ‘Quiet Time’?Effective biblical engagement must be about more than one’s personal experience with Scripture.