Editor's note: President Barack Obama's news that al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden was killed after a firefight in Abbottabad, Pakistan, sparked one of Twitter's heaviest usage periods ever, with more than 4,000 tweets a second. The event was even reported live on Twitter, with Donald Rumsfeld's chief of staff reportedly announcing the death to his followers before mainstream media outlets broke the story (though he credits "a connected network TV news producer" as his source).
Among Christians, social network streams were full of debate over whether to rejoice in bin Laden's death, with Bible verses quoted by both sides. Stephen Smith, whose OpenBible.info collects realtime data on Bible verse quotes on Facebook and Twitter, compiled this list of the most popular verses in the 12 hours after the news broke. (Links go to the most recent posts of those quoting that verse; quotes are from the 2011 edition of the NIV unless otherwise noted.)
1. Proverbs 24:17 "Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when they stumble, do not let your heart rejoice."
2. Psalm 138:8 "The LORD will make PERFECT the things that concern me"(KJV). (NIV: "The LORD will vindicate me; your love, LORD, endures forever—do not abandon the works of your hands.") (Unrelated tweet by Rev Run.)
3. Proverbs 21:15 "When justice is done, it brings joy to the righteous but terror to evildoers." (Rick Warren started this one):
4. Ezekiel 33:11 "Say to them, 'As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways! Why will you die, people of Israel?"
5. Ezekiel 18:23 "Do I take any pleasure in the death of the wicked? declares the Sovereign LORD. Rather, am I not pleased when they turn from their ways and live?"
6. Isaiah 1:18 "Come now, let us settle the matter," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool."
7. Proverbs 11:10 "When the righteous prosper, the city rejoices; when the wicked perish, there are shouts of joy."
8. Proverbs 24:18 " … or the LORD will see and disapprove and turn his wrath away from them." (The popularity of this verse is due to it finishing the sentence begun by the #1 most popular verse.)
9. Proverbs 24:1 "Do not envy the wicked, do not desire their company;" (probably an effort to quote Proverbs 24:17)
10. Proverbs 28:5 "Evildoers do not understand what is right, but those who seek the LORD understand it fully."
11. Ezekiel 18:32 "For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live!"
12. Romans 8:31 "What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?"
13. Romans 12:19 "Do not take revenge, my dear friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: 'It is mine to avenge; I will repay,' says the Lord."
14. Psalm 27:14 "Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD."
15. Romans 10:9 "If you declare with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."
16. Joshua 1:9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." (This verse is usually one of the most-popular verse on Twitter.)
17. Romans 10:15 "And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: 'How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!'"
18. Romans 13:4 "For the one in authority is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God's servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer." (Mark Driscoll accelerated this verse's popularity via his Facebook post.)
19. Psalm 68:5 "A father to the fatherless, a defender of widows, is God in his holy dwelling." (An unrelated tweet by Matt Redman.)
20. 2 Timothy 1:7 "For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline." (This is also a consistently popular verse on Twitter.)
21. Psalm 23:4 "Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."
22. 2 Chronicles 7:14 "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
23. Psalm 121:2 "My help comes from the LORD, the Maker of heaven and earth." (related to Alabama storms, also tweeted by Dallas Cowboys running back Marion Barber)
24. Proverbs 11:7 "When a wicked man dieth, his expectation shall perish: and the hope of unjust men perisheth" (KJV). (NIV: "Hopes placed in mortals die with them; all the promise of their power comes to nothing.")
Copyright © 2011 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
Smith's OpenBible.info also has his 2010 presentation on the most-tweeted verses overall.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingA Tale of Two New York City PastorsOne formed me. The other entertained me.
- From the MagazineHow One Family’s Faith Survived Three Generations in the PulpitWith a front-row seat to their parents’ failures and burnout, a long line of pastor’s kids still went into ministry. Why?
- RelatedDied: Tim Keller, New York City Pastor Who Modeled Winsome Witness“We are more sinful and flawed in ourselves than we ever dared believe, yet at the very same time we are more loved and accepted in Jesus Christ than we ever dared hope.”españolPortuguêsFrançais简体中文한국어Indonesian繁體中文русскийУкраїнська日本語
- Editor's PickNominate a Book for the 2024 Christianity Today Book AwardsInstructions for publishers.