Subscribe to this Podcast:
Why do bad things happen? Recording artist, former America’s Got Talent finalist, and author of More Than My Scars Kechi Okwuchi asked herself this question after a plane crash changed her life. In this episode of VOICES’ Where Ya From? podcast, Kechi joins host Rasool Berry to discuss how to rely on God’s unchanging love when faced with unspeakable tragedy.
Kechi Okwuchi is a Nigerian American recording artist, motivational speaker, author of More Than My Scars, and a former finalist on America’s Got Talent in 2017. One of two survivors in the Sosoliso Airlines Flight 1145 crash on December 10, 2005, she became a national patient ambassador for Shriners Children’s Texas in Galveston in 2017. She has since been active in events organized by WE Movement—a global youth empowerment organization—speaking and singing to thousands of students at WE Day events all over the country. As a bullying prevention advocate, she has teamed up with the organization Be Strong Global, as well as Instagram and Teen Vogue, to speak out against bullying. She hopes to use her story and her musical talents to ignite hope. Okwuchi lives in Pearland, Texas.
Notes & Quotes:
- “Being a Christian does not exempt you from bad things happening to you. Bad things happen in life to good and bad people.”
- “God is a place of endless replenishment and strength, especially when things are really bad.”
- “Seeing myself through God’s eyes is probably the best way to hold on to my confidence. You’re never going to be able to come to me to make me feel bad based on my appearance, because God doesn’t care about that.”
- Check out Kechi’s new book, More Than My Scars.
- Listen to Kechi’s debut album on Spotify and Apple Music.
- Visit Kechi’s website.
- Learn more about Shriner’s Hospital for Children.
- Visit our website to sign up for emails. Get new episodes sent straight to your email.
- Tell us how much you love Where Ya From? by rating us five stars and leaving us a review.
- Check out our VOICES Collection from Our Daily Bread Ministries
- Follow Where Ya From?on Instagram.
- Follow VOICES on Instagram.
- Philippians 4
- 1 Samuel 16
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingEvangelicals Are the Most Beloved US Faith Group Among EvangelicalsAnd among the worst-rated by everybody else.
- From the MagazineIs It Time to Quit ‘Quiet Time’?Effective biblical engagement must be about more than one’s personal experience with Scripture.
- RelatedWas Luther Anti-Semitic?
- Editor's PickDante Bowe Navigates Worship in the SpotlightAfter leaving Maverick City Music, the singer is launching his own label focused on authenticity in a field increasingly crowded by celebrity.