- The eight habits have broad application. One beautiful fact is that they are essentially the same habits that produce effectiveness for coaches of small-group leaders, directors, and small-group pastors. Once a leader incorporates them, he or she has the foundation for moving up the levels of small-group leadership.
- These habits are easy to understand and remember. I have seen small-group leaders' eyes light up as their mentors explain the eight habits to them. Leaders nod their head and say, "Yes. I see. That's simple enough. It's just common sense."
- These habits are doable. This is the best quality. Any leader can put them into practice, if he or she invests the time. When small-group leaders hear the habits explained, they nod, saying things like, "This is just what I have been looking for. Now I have a clear course to follow. I can do this."
- The eight habits are realistic. Most leaders can fit them into their busy schedules. It doesn't take a spiritual giant or someone with unlimited time to do them. These eight habits are attainable goals for all cell leaders.
- The eight habits are motivating. Upon learning them, leaders burn with passion to put them into practice. The eight habits are challenging, but not overwhelming.
8 Key Habits
The eight habits can take a small-group leader, and those under him or her, to a new level. Whether an apprentice leader, a novice small-group leader, a seasoned leader, a coach of group leaders, a director of a district of groups, or a pastor of a large small-group ministry, these eight habits will work and lead to fruitfulness and multiplication. You'll also experience greater fulfillment in your ministry.
The eight habits of effective small-group leaders are:
- Dream of leading a healthy, growing, multiplying group.
- Pray for group members daily.
- Invite new people to visit the group weekly.
- Contact group members regularly.
- Prepare for the group meeting.
- Mentor an apprentice leader.
- Plan group fellowship activities.
- Be committed to personal growth.
To learn more about these eight habits, see the book 8 Habits of Effective Small Group Leaders, Dave Earley, Cell Group Resources, a division of TOUCH® Outreach Ministries, http://www.touchusa.org. Used with permission.