1. Presidential hopefuls George W. Bush, Al Gore embrace faith-based programs. In these "charitable-choice" programs, religious organizations, including churches and synagogues, may provide social services through a government contract. Religious indoctrination is prohibited.
2. Rioting Muslims target Christians in Ambon, Indonesia.
3. Gay marriage gains in Vermont, but loses ground among United Methodists.
4. Texas Southern Baptist moderates defund SBC agencies.
5. U.S. Supreme Court nixes public prayer by students before sporting events.
6. African churches fight stigma and panic in HIV-AIDS crisis.
7. Evangelicals protest medical research using tissue from human embryos.
8. NCC makes overtures to Catholics, Pentecostals, and evangelicals.
9. Anti-sex trafficking bill enacted with broad Christian support.
10. Christian enclaves in Bethlehem damaged in renewed Mideast violence.1
Already a CT subscriber? Log in for full digital access.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more