Style: Modern rock; compare to Lifehouse, Inhabited, Jeremy Camp
Top tracks: "In Too Deep," "Better Man," "I Want To Be Home"
At 25, Alabama-bred singer/songwriter Ryan John already logged eight years as a pastor and speaker, which translates to a mature writing style. On this debut disc, he isn't afraid to expose personal imperfections, while reminding listeners to lean on God no matter how messy life gets. It's a straight-up modern rock record, but the dynamic shift between charging romps and introspective ballads sounds fresh and inspired. John continues his church commitments, but could also make the cut in Nashville should he decide to pursue music instead.
Copyright © 2010 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingJunia, the Female Apostle Imprisoned for the GospelWhat Scripture tells us about the story of this “outstanding” Jewish woman in chains.Português
- From the MagazineWhy Does Creation Groan?Scripture and science suggest that animal suffering fits into a divine artistic story.
- Editor's PickResisting the Impulse of Self-OptimizationIn Lent, we realign our identity in Christ and recover our sense of being loved into existence by our Creator.