Style: Minimalist, mellow anti-pop; compare to Cowboy Junkies, Mazzy Star, Low
Top tracks: "Oceans," "Saint Timothy's," "The Scenery"
This San Francisco-based duo features Steve Beck's effects-laden guitars and Julia Sea's sparse, plaintive piano/organ and hushed, reverb-drenched vocals. Together they create haunting, stripped-down sound collages akin to ethereal lullabies for adults. The seven tracks on this EP were recorded in a church in a California desert town, and the moody, minimalist melodies certainly fit their origin. The lyrics walk spiritually vague/poetic paths, but lines such as "your light is washing over me" ("The Plan") ask for closer listens.1
Already a CT subscriber? Log in for full digital access.
Find hope and historical insight. For a limited time, explore 60+ years of CT archives for free!
- Daily devotions from Timothy Dalrymple during this pandemic.
- Hundreds of theology and spiritual formation classics from Philip Yancey, Elisabeth Elliot, John Stott, and more.
- Thought journalism that inspires you to think more deeply about your faith.
- View the complete archive.
- Join now and get print issues access to archive PDFs.