Murphy, the famous person who gave us Murphy's Law ("If anything can go wrong, it will"), was a minister. At least, so it seems when you read the following church corollaries to Murphy's Law:
- You'll remember the person's name-five minutes after you fumble a greeting.
- The one Sunday morning you're late in getting your sermon prepared, the computer won't print.
- When you arrive late, the meeting starts early. When you rush and arrive early, it's the wrong evening.
- The obnoxious driver you honked at Friday will be a first-time visitor on Sunday.
- The church van sits idle for weeks at a time, but the senior high and middle school groups will want to use it the exact same weekend.
- The harder it is raining, the farther you will have to park from the hospital.
- The week the district superintendent visits, two ushers and the soloist will not show up.
- When you remember to thank people, they forget that you did; when you forget to thank them, they remember it forever.