Led by the retailers, Thanksgiving often gets mowed down by Christmas. This year, make Thanksgiving a priority. Here are some ideas for worship and outreach.
- Read the Proclamation. Abraham Lincoln's 1863 announcement is a good reminder of the purpose of Thanksgiving Day.
- Raise an Ebenezer. Invite the congregation to build a monument to God's faithfulness with messages on paper-covered bricks or on a butcher-paper-covered wall.
- Give thanks Old-Testament style. Using Psalm 136 as a model, invite worship attenders to take turns saying in one sentence a way God has blessed them. Then have the congregation respond after each one, "His faithfulness is everlasting."
- Reconnect. The lull before the Christmas rush is a fine time to send notes to those who haven't been at church lately. Let them know that your church is thankful for them.
- Prayer vigil. Open the church building for families to come to pray together for a short while. Provide prayer sheets listing special needs, such as military personnel.