49% Americans say that maintaining military strength is the best way to ensure peace.
62% Americans who said this five years ago.
Source: Pew Research Center
$1.3 million The average payout plaintiffs will receive in a $660 million settlement with the Roman Catholic archdiocese of Los Angeles.
$2 billion Roman Catholic payouts for abuse settlements and court judgments nationwide.
Source: Associated Press
52% Sales of Christian products that occur at Christian retailers
33% Sales of Christian products that occur at general market retailers like Wal-Mart and Borders
$4.63 billion Total sales for Christian products in 2006
Source: Religion News Service
31% Of the $250 billion U.S. individuals gave to nonprofits in 2005, amount that went to the needs of the economically disadvantaged.
24% Of the $101 billion given to religious causes, amount that goes to benevolence.
Source: The Center on Philanthropy at Indiana University
Copyright © 2007 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
See our earlier Go Figure postings from August 2007, July 2007, June 2007, May 2007, April 2007, March 2007, February 2007, January 2007, December 2006, November 2006, and earlier issues.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Our digital archives are a work in progress. Let us know if corrections need to be made.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
More from this Issue
Read These Next
- TrendingDied: Pat Robertson, Broadcast Pioneer Who Brought Christian TV to the MainstreamWith CBN, “The 700 Club,” Regent, the Christian Coalition, and a run for president, he changed evangelicals’ place in public life.FrançaisIndonesianрусскийУкраїнська
- From the MagazineHow One Family’s Faith Survived Three Generations in the PulpitWith a front-row seat to their parents’ failures and burnout, a long line of pastor’s kids still went into ministry. Why?
- RelatedWe Believe in the Power of the Gospel, Not the Gospel of PowerThe Duggar documentary reminds Christians that we are the generation not of Joshua but of Jesus.
- Editor's PickPCA’s 50th Anniversary Comes During a Season of GriefPresbyterians expect less fight and more fatigue as they gather following the Covenant shooting and the deaths of Harry Reeder and Tim Keller.