I have a sneaking suspicion that one of our staff members lives in a parallel universe where days have more than 24 hours and weeks more than seven days. I have no other way of explaining the output of deputy managing editor Tim Morgan.
Tim has been with Christianity Today now for 16 years, and to say that he has grown into his job would not be accurate. He has outgrown his job, not in the sense that he is now fit for something else, but that he has put his current job on growth hormones or something like steroids.
I was reviewing annual staff output recently to ensure their workload is balanced. I discovered it isn't, mainly because Tim has edited or written a record number of pieces this year:
- January's cover story by Tony Carnes and Denise McGill on Turkey
- February's major photo essay on a Dallas-based journalist who adopted a special-needs child
- March's cover story by John W. Kennedy on sex addiction
- May's cover story by Rob Moll and Gary Gnidovic on China
- August's cover story by Deann Alford on nascar
- October's cover story by Tony Carnes and John W. Kennedy on the election, while writing a piece on major Anglican conferences in Jerusalem and Lambeth—both of which he attended.
And this issue he wrote, with Isaac Phiri, the cover story on the global food crisis.
That's six cover stories—half of our covers for the year. This number doesn't include several other print and online stories, blog posts, and regular contributions to the editorial page and this column. When young staffers ask me what an editor looks like when he or she grows up, I point to Tim's office.
What's interesting is the way Tim approaches his work. He is not the type to rush around at 100 miles an hour and snap at everyone because he has so much on ...1
Already a CT subscriber? Log in for full digital access.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 60+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more