Blood and Fire: Revival Movements That Transformed Culture and Society
Nigel Scotland (Cascade Books)
From Northampton, Massachusetts, to Lowestoft, England, the locations where revivals erupt can feel as unpredictable as the Spirit who kindles them. In Blood and Fire, religion scholar Nigel Scotland explores 10 revivals that occurred in the United States and Great Britain, touching on familiar episodes and more obscure events alike. As Scotland explains, studying these spiritual outpourings can furnish us with a “deeper awareness of [God’s] concern and compassion for the world and its peoples.”
Theology That Sticks: The Life-Changing Power of Exceptional Hymns
Chris Anderson (Church Works media)
When it comes to varying styles of church music, Chris Anderson, a self-described “music junkie,” might check the box for “all of the above.” His great passion, though, is for hymns—he’s written dozens—and in Theology That Sticks, he unpacks their virtues. “Great Christian music,” writes Anderson, “is a means of grace. It helps you grow in your faith, delight in your God, and even combat your sin.”
Redeeming Vision: A Christian Guide to Looking at and Learning from Art
Elissa Yukiko Weichbrodt (Baker Academic)
Looking at art, for some, counts as a highbrow hobby. But even those who disclaim the artsy label are deeply shaped by an array of images, from the mundane to the sublime. Weichbrodt, an art history professor at Covenant College, writes Redeeming Vision “for the museumgoers, yes, but also for the Instagram scrollers, the meme gatherers, the magazine readers, the ad watchers, the graphic novel lovers, the coffee table book flippers, and the cell phone photo editors.” The book walks believers through various tools for seeing and grappling with the world of artwork around them.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
More from this Issue
Read These Next
- TrendingAfter Nashville, Moral Numbness Is Our EnemyShootings have become normal to the American public. But as Christians, we know better.
- From the MagazineBhutanese Nepali Refugees Turn Their Trials into Zeal for EvangelismThousands found Jesus while displaced, which prepared them to plant churches and settle in a new land.
- RelatedCompany that Trademarked ‘Worship Leader’ Makes Others Drop the TermPopular meme accounts lose social media pages after being reported by Authentic Media, which says it coined the phrase.
- Editor's PickLiberty Appoints Retired General, Air Force Chaplain as New PresidentAlumnus Dondi E. Costin steps in to lead years after Jerry Falwell Jr.’s scandal.