Subscribe to this Podcast:
Billy Graham is known as an evangelist, a preacher, a media personality, and even an advisor to presidents. But few are aware of just how influential he has been as an entrepreneur.
Of course, Christianity Today is one of the most apparent examples of his work as an instigator and arranger of people and resources. Most of what CT would become flowed from his singular vision, and its evolution would be carefully and lightly stewarded by Graham himself.
Graham’s humility, coupled with a decisive vision for a magazine for evangelical Christians, made Christianity Today the publication it is today. It also helped to popularize a movement that would change the course of Christianity.
As The Calling host Richard Clark learned talking to Harold Myra, CT’s former president and co-author of The Leadership Secrets of Billy Graham, Graham embraced his role as a bridge: between academics and the popular audience, between denominations, even between vast resources and those who might best put them to use.
And that’s just one example of the many ways Graham’s leadership demonstrated the humble decisiveness that made him such a remarkably influential figure.
On this week’s episode of The Calling, they discuss Myra’s relationship with Billy Graham, and in particular, what it was like to watch Graham work from within an institution he founded.
This episode of The Calling was brought to you by the Christian Standard Bible. To learn more about the Christian Standard Bible, visit CSBible.com/CT.
Click the “play” button above to listen in.
Subscribe to The Calling on iTunes.
Listen to previous episodes of The Calling.
Follow the podcast on Facebook and Twitter.
Follow our host on Twitter: Richard Clark
The Calling is produced by Richard Clark and Morgan Lee and edited by Jonathan Clauson.
Theme music by Lee Rosevere, used under Creative Commons 4.0.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingChristian and Missionary Alliance Will Ordain WomenMinisters may now use the title “pastor” regardless of gender.
- From the MagazineI Find Comfort in the Divine WarriorA surprising psalm changed my view on God’s presence during seasons of trial.
- RelatedEvangelist Billy Graham Has Died'America's pastor' shaped modern evangelicalism.
- Editor's PickMost US Pastors Use Armed Congregants as Church SecurityWith shootings on the rise, more churches are dropping no-firearms policies and turning to gun-carriers in their flock, survey finds.