Subscribe to this Podcast:
“He was always shot through with gratitude.”
So says Russell Moore of pastor, theologian, and author Tim Keller, who died on Friday, May 19, 2023. Husband to Kathy and father of three, Keller was the founding pastor of Redeemer Presbyterian Church in New York City and the cofounder of Redeemer City to City. Moore believes Keller to be the most significant American evangelist since Billy Graham, a designation he explains throughout the episode.
“The death of @timkellernyc is an incalculable loss to the church, the world, to those of us who loved him, those of us he helped in our darkest hours,” Moore tweeted on Friday. “This is gain for Tim, now in the presence of Christ. He need no longer explain the reason for God, just to enjoy him forever.”
On this special episode of The Russell Moore Show, Moore shares stories of spending time with Keller, especially highlighting Keller’s remarkable approach to describing the gospel in conversations with non-Christians. He recalls the way Keller responded with profound empathy when attacked by critics. And Moore shares some of the wisdom Keller imparted to him that helped Moore make significant life decisions.
This episode features portions from conversations Moore had with Keller over the years. Listeners will hear Keller speak on forgiveness, the Resurrection, and grieving the deaths of loved ones. And they’ll hear the many and beautiful reasons why Moore will miss his dear friend.
Learn more about Keller’s life and work, and find updates about the upcoming livestream worship service honoring him, at TimothyKeller.com.
Pre-order Russell’s new title, Losing Our Religion: An Altar Call for Evangelical America, here!
Do you have a question for Russell Moore? Send it to email@example.com.
Click here for a trial membership at Christianity Today.
“The Russell Moore Show” is a production of Christianity Today
Executive Producers: Erik Petrik, Russell Moore, and Mike Cosper
Host: Russell Moore
Producer: Ashley Hales
Editor: Matt Stevens
Mix Engineer and Music: Dan Phelps
Associate Producers: Abby Perry and Azurae Phelps
Social Media: Kate Lucky
Video Producer: John Roland
CT Administration: Christine Kolb
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingRussell Moore: I Already Miss Tim Keller’s Wise VoiceThe late pastor theologian gave strong counsel to me and so many others in ministry.
- From the MagazineWhen Politics Saved 25 Million LivesTwenty years ago, Republicans, Democrats, evangelicals, gay activists, and African leaders joined forces to combat AIDS. Will their legacy survive today’s partisanship?
- RelatedDied: Tim Keller, New York City Pastor Who Modeled Winsome Witness“We are more sinful and flawed in ourselves than we ever dared believe, yet at the very same time we are more loved and accepted in Jesus Christ than we ever dared hope.”españolPortuguêsFrançais简体中文한국어Indonesian繁體中文русскийУкраїнська日本語
- Editor's PickBecome a Shadow of Your Future SelfManifesting isn’t the answer. Consenting to holiness is.