Subscribe to this Podcast:
When Russell Moore first heard the title of Christopher Watkin’s new book, Biblical Critical Theory, his mind immediately went to the controversy around critical race theory. But, as this episode’s conversation with Watkin—a professor and senior lecturer at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia, reveals—it’s about so much more.
Tune in for a rich discussion of what critical theory actually is (and isn’t), what it means to critique the status quo, and where the Bible fits into all of this. Moore and Watkin talk about the authority of Scripture and the role of morality in the lives of both Christians and non-Christians. Their conversation touches on social media, gender and sexuality, and moral relativism. And they consider what it means to let the Bible interpret the Bible, looking to Augustine as a model for cultural and political thought, and how to begin investigating the stories we tell ourselves.
Resources discussed during this episode include:
- Biblical Critical Theory: How the Bible’s Unfolding Story Makes Sense of Modern Life and Culture by Christopher Watkin
- A Secular Age by Charles Taylor
- City of God by Augustine
- Theology and Social Theory: Beyond Secular Reason by John Milbank
- Gospel and Kingdom by Graeme Goldsworthy
- God’s Big Picture: Tracing the Storyline of the Bible by Vaughan Roberts
- Seeing Jesus in the Old Testament by Nancy Guthrie
- The Order of Things and The Birth of Biopolitics by Michel Foucault
- Heidelberg Disputation by Martin Luther
Do you have a question for Russell Moore? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click here for a trial membership at Christianity Today.
“The Russell Moore Show” is a production of Christianity Today
Executive Producers: Erik Petrik, Russell Moore, and Mike Cosper
Host: Russell Moore
Producer: Ashley Hales
Associate Producers: Abby Perry and Azurae Phelps
CT Administration: Christine Kolb
Social Media: Kate Lucky
Director of Operations for CT Media: Matt Stevens
Production Assistance: coreMEDIA
Audio Engineer: Kevin Duthu
Coordinator: Beth Grabenkort
Video Producer: John Roland
Theme Song: “Dusty Delta Day” by Lennon Hutton
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingA Tale of Two New York City PastorsOne formed me. The other entertained me.
- From the MagazineI Find Comfort in the Divine WarriorA surprising psalm changed my view on God’s presence during seasons of trial.
- RelatedBible Gateway Removes The Passion TranslationPopular among charismatics, the “heart-level” Bible version was criticized as a paraphrase posing as translation.
- Editor's PickTheological Education Can’t Catch Up to Global Church GrowthUnless seminaries leave the ivory tower for local leaders in the public square. Like these ones have.