Subscribe to this Podcast:
How should Christians think about evolving technology? What does it look like to engage in conversations about ChatGPT or the Bing AI bot that recently tried to persuade a New York Times reporter to leave his spouse for the bot? How is society affected by apocalyptic predictions regarding overpopulation or climate change?
On this episode of The Russell Moore Show, poet, author, and literary critic Adam Kirsch joins Moore to answer these questions. They talk about Kirsch’s new book, The Revolt Against Humanity: Imagining a Future Without Us; Jewish and Christian views of human nature; and how to communicate across differences in worldview. They ask whether people with an antihuman mindset—in which humans are the problem—have it right. Or, perhaps, are the transhumanists—who believe we can and should transcend humanity—on to something? Might God offer a better way than either of these perspectives?
Tune in for an episode that explores the possibilities for what life could look like in the coming years and ponders how God might encourage his people to live in these times.
Resources mentioned in this episode include:
- “Bing’s A.I. Chat: ‘I Want to Be Alive.’” by Kevin Roose
- The Revolt Against Humanity by Adam Kirsch
- The Precipice by Tony Ord
- “The Peace of Wild Things” by Wendell Berry
- “A Prairie Home Companion” with Garrison Keillor
Click here for a trial membership at Christianity Today.
“The Russell Moore Show” is a production of Christianity Today
Executive Producers: Erik Petrik, Russell Moore, and Mike Cosper
Host: Russell Moore
Producer: Ashley Hales
Associate Producers: Abby Perry and Azurae Phelps
CT Administration: Christine Kolb
Social Media: Kate Lucky
Director of Operations for CT Media: Matt Stevens
Production Assistance: coreMEDIA
Audio Engineer: Kevin Duthu
Coordinator: Beth Grabenkort
Video Producer: John Roland
Theme Song: “Dusty Delta Day” by Lennon Hutton
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingAfter Nashville, Moral Numbness Is Our EnemyShootings have become normal to the American public. But as Christians, we know better.
- From the MagazineWhy Does Creation Groan?Scripture and science suggest that animal suffering fits into a divine artistic story.
- RelatedBeth Moore: When I Was a Stranger in the SBC, Anglicans Welcomed MeHow the acclaimed Bible teacher found a new church home.
- Editor's PickLiberty Appoints Retired General, Air Force Chaplain as New PresidentAlumnus Dondi E. Costin steps in to lead years after Jerry Falwell Jr.’s scandal.