Subscribe to this Podcast:
Kicking off this week's episode, on #blessed Heather sits down with Sharon Hodde Miller and talks about online church. Is online church a blessing that is making us more connected as a body of believers? Or is it a mess that is disconnecting us? Make sure to let us know your thoughts by typing in ViralJesusPod on Instagram or Twitter and using #blessed.
As our pod-class journey on healing continues, (don’t forget to listen to previous episodes in the series) Heather sits down with Sharon Hodde Miller to discuss a concept Sharon calls “the cost of control". How is our need to control our lives, preventing us from living them?
Sharon leads Bright City Church in Durham, North Carolina, with her husband, Ike, which they planted together in 2018. Sharon earned her MDiv from Duke Divinity School and her PhD from Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, where she researched the topic of women and calling.
In addition to writing for sites like Christianity Today, She Reads Truth, Propel, Relevant, and more, she is the author of three books: Free of Me: Why Life Is Better When It’s Not about You, Nice: Why We Love to Be Liked And How God Calls Us to More, and The Cost of Control: Why We Crave It, the Anxiety it Gives Us, and the Real Power God Promises.
Heather Thompson Day is an associate professor of communication at Andrews University in Berrien Springs, Michigan. She is the author of eight books, including I'll See You Tomorrow, releasing in October, and It’s Not Your Turn. Reach out to Heather on Twitter @HeatherTDay and on Instagram @heatherthompsonday.
Viral Jesus is a production of Christianity Today
Host and creator: Heather Thompson Day
Executive Producer: Ed Gilbreath
Producer: Loren Joseph
Associate Producer: Azurae Phelps
Mix Engineer: Alex Carter
Director of CT Podcasts: Mike Cosper
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingRussell Moore: I Already Miss Tim Keller’s Wise VoiceThe late pastor theologian gave strong counsel to me and so many others in ministry.
- From the MagazineI Find Comfort in the Divine WarriorA surprising psalm changed my view on God’s presence during seasons of trial.
- RelatedThe Danger of Forcing ForgivenessWe must be wary of wrongly using the biblical command in order to silence victims of abuse.
- Editor's PickWorship Music Is Emotionally Manipulative. Do You Trust the Leader Plucking the Strings?The Spirit is at work, but so are the mechanisms around high-production sets.