It's clear that the first papal encyclical on climate change is receiving massive attention. What's less clear is who will find its exhortation on creation care persuasive—particularly among evangelicals.
White evangelicals increasingly agree that global warming is "a serious problem," according to the latest data from the Pew Research Center. But the percentage—24 percent agree in 2015, up from 17 percent in 2013—still trails most other religious groups.
According to Pew's 2015 data:
- 50 percent of white evangelicals agree global warming is occurring.
- 25 percent say it is caused by humans.
- 24 percent say it is a serious problem.
- 63 percent of Americans who attend religious services weekly agree global warming is occurring.
- 38 percent say it is caused by humans.
- 39 percent say it is a serious problem.
So amid alltheparsing, the question becomes: Which evangelicals and weekly churchgoers can Pope Francis most likely move with Laudato Si? In other words, who ...1