"Today's Top Five" and other commentary will return with the next Weblog posting.
Church and state:
- Buena Park pastor asks followers to pray for the death of his critics | His response comes after a call to the IRS about a political endorsement he issued on church letterhead (Los Angeles Times)
- Audit may be part of IRS' investigation of church | A Wichita church being investigated by the Internal Revenue Service for a possible violation of its tax-exempt status could soon be audited (The Wichita Eagle, Kan.)
- Also: Wichita church under scrutiny from IRS | IRS investigating political activity, abortion battles (Associated Press)
- Funding faith-based charities | The way has been paved for faith-based organizations offering social services to tap into government dollars. In Utah, however, it seems many groups either can't find the on-ramp, assume there's a roadblock or simply prefer to take different roads (The Salt Lake Tribune, Ut.)
South Korea hostages:
- Talks for hostages hit snags again | Taliban continues to insist on the release of prisoners (The Korea Times)